HIGHLIGHTS of QUALIFICATIONS
- Master of Fine Arts in English (Magna Cum Laude)
- University teaching (classroom and online)
- ESL teaching (Czech Republic and Penn State University)
- Experience in the following subjects: Creative Writing, Rhetoric and Composition, Technical Writing,
Screenwriting, Business Writing, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Alfred Hitchcock, Gothic Studies, World Cinema, Counter Global Cinema, Studio Production, Filmmaking, Advertising, Marketing, and Public Relations, Academic Writing, Mystery & Crime, Romance, Literary Fiction, Poetry & Nonfiction
- Professional background in Advertising, Marketing, and Sales
Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
Master of Fine Arts in English (Magna Cum Laude) 2009
Awarded research and teaching assistantships (granted to only 8 out of 500 applicants)
Bachelor of Arts in Communications(Film & Video) 1995
Microsoft Project 2005
Brian Buffini Seminar
Marketing & Advertising, Client Appreciation Program 2005
American Red Cross
CPR Certified (Infant, Child & Adult), First Aid Certified 2001
Master of Fine Arts in English- Magna Cum Laude 2009
Golden Key International Honour Society 2008
Teaching Assistantship, Research Assistantship (Penn State University) 2007-2009
Dean’s List 1991
CEO, Founder, Director 2013-current
The South Gate Society School of Creative Writing, Aalborg, Denmark
- From concept to completion: new 4-year program in Creative Writing in Denmark, including fundraising, marketing, advertising, curriculum development, artist in residence program, grant applications, and more.
Teaching Professor 2010-current
University of Aalborg, Denmark
- Instruct international students in areas of Rhetoric & Composition I & Rhetoric & Composition II
- Curriculum Development & Implementation of Master’s Level Academic Written Communication in Culture, Communication and Globalization.
- Curriculum Development and Implementation of American History, Politics, and Culture in Culture and Global Studies.
- Curriculum Development and Implementation of two-semester Business Communications and Academic Writing for International Economics Bachelor’s and Master’s Students.
- English Language & Culture I, II, and III.
Online Instructor 2009-2013
University of Phoenix
- Facilitate online courses in asynchronous collaborative learning environment. Provide discussion questions on course material and utilize Socratic questioning to encourage discussion of course topics and goals
- English 221: Technical Communication Fundamentals
- Comm 170: Elements of University Composition and Communication I
- Comm 172: Elements of University Composition and Communication II
English Lecturer 2006-2009
Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
- Provided comprehensive instruction to diverse groups of university students in traditional campus classroom environment.
- Subjects of Interest:Rhetoric & Composition, Creative Writing in Fiction, Non-Fiction, and Poetry, ESL, Business Writing, Gothic Studies, Film & Literature, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Film Studies, Advertising/PR
- Developed engaging, interesting lesson plans; utilized multi-media; incorporated a wide range of educational techniques to guide students with vastly different learning styles and abilities.
- Facilitated open, relaxed, two-way communications. Ensured all questions and concerns were addressed, allowing students to play an active role in their education.
- Provided individual student tutoring as needed in all areas of learning.
Director of Marketing & Advertising 2/2005 – 7/2005
Denise Fast Team, Marina del Rey, CA
- Project Manager(Marketing and Sales depts.) Coordinated all action plans & deadlines to meet CEO’s marketing goals to increase revenue. Implemented Property and Testimonial Postcards, Team and Testimonial Flyers, 8 x 8 campaign.
- Client Appreciation Program (CAP): Conceived & implemented CAP, updated & maintained client database, created client categorization system, CAP production schedule, contacted local businesses & negotiated “Items of Value” for clients.
- Advertising Manager: Designed extensive integrated advertising and lead tracking grids (in Excel). Conducted all media research, proposed ad placement, increased lead generation through print & internet marketing, analyzed all data and presented statistics to CEO, contributed strategic marketing ideas. Worked with Art Director to design all advertising and marketing materials: display ads, postcards, newsletters, and flyers according to specifications. Co-wrote, proofread, and edited all copy.
- Procedural Documentation: Documented all systems and procedures within Marketing Dept. to ensure systems could be implemented in other companies nationwide.
- Video Testimonials: Managed all aspects of obtaining client testimonials: interviewed clients using video & audio technology, transferred tapes to DVD, transcribed, wrote testimonial text to be used in layout of testimonial postcards & flyers.
Director of Video Production & Ad Campaigns 9/2004 – 2/2005
American International Industries, Los Angeles, CA
- Producer:all educational, instructional and promotional videos for international beauty products manufacturer and distributor. Pre-Production, Production, and Post-Production:
- Interfaced with all departments and Product Managers, conducted extensive product research, wrote scripts, developed budgets, held casting calls, negotiated rates for models & actors, production companies, cast & crew. Production: Secured city, state & county location permits, coordinated transportation, drafted legal documents & negotiated contracts, directed cast & crew, wardrobe, hair & makeup. Post-Production: Worked in studio during editing process, sound mixing, and voiceover recording.
- Print Ad Campaigns: Created ad campaigns from concept to completion for 32 product lines for packaging, print ads (national & trade magazines), posters, brochures, etc. Developed campaign mock-ups per product. Presented campaigns to executive board with sales projections, demographics, print media, circulation and readership.
- Public Relations: Attended conventions and events (Golden Globes Silver Spoon, Tanning Conventions, Nail Tech conventions, etc), maintained relations with national beauty magazines, actors, high profile political figures, for product placement and promotion (Duchess of York, Henry Simmons, Teri Hatcher, Angela Bassett, Paul Logan, Vanessa Lengies).
Sales Coordinator: Sales and Marketing Dept. 2002 – 2004
Rhino Records/Warner Strategic Marketing (Warner Music Group), Burbank, CA
- Release Books: Created and designed sales sheets for all upcoming releases for bi-weekly Release Books for all audio and video releases: Gathered tracks/liners for copywriter, proofed copy, distributed to Editorial and Product Managers, interfaced with art department and designers then sent to film for nationwide distribution adhering to strict Warner/Elektra/Atlantic deadlines.
- Sales Reports: Created extensive, in-depth reports: Pipeline, Soundscan, New Release Target Rpts., SLO Reports, Daily Sales. Compiled data for New Release sales projections (SLO and Discount information to retail/racks/wholesale).
- Advertising: Liaison with all Warner Strategic Marketing departments and interfaced with national WEA Sales & Marketing Managers, customers and executives. Worked closely with National WEA staff in setting up in-store promotions and national advertising and issued Purchase Orders. Researched and analyzed consumer behavior in music industry. (Projects included: Frank Sinatra, Grateful Dead, Ray Charles, The Cure, ZZ Top, X, Led Zeppelin, Otis Redding, Black Sabbath, Depeche Mode).
- Administrative: Set up information sessions for Pitch Meetings and weekly national new release meetings. Fielded requests for artwork, product, promos from WEA Catalog Managers and NAM’s. Worked directly for VP of Sales.
Licensing Manager December 2001 – October 2002
CMH/Vitamin Records, Los Angeles, CA
Responsible for obtaining mechanical, compulsory and master licensing for compilation and tribute albums. Contacted publishers and negotiated royalty rates and advances on tracks. Licensing was illegally three months behind when I started, and brought up to legal code, and licenses obtained through the entire upcoming year when I left. Responsible for monthly & quarterly royalties.
Proofreader & Copy Editor March 2001 – July 2005
Famous Last Words, Los Angeles, CA
Extensive online market research, responsible for correcting grammar, spelling, punctuation and checking consistency and clarity on all documents including: ad copy, business proposals, dissertations, essays, manuscripts, screenplays, websites, articles.
Motion Picture Literary Agent Assistant November 2000 – May 2001
International Creative Management, Beverly Hills, CA
Responsible for daily business and administrative affairs for agent’s desk. Script analysis and proofreading, story development ideas. Developed and maintained daily relationships with clients, executives, managers and producers. Managed calendar and activities (organized meetings, call sheet, etc.), arranged travel, maintained files, created databases, generated expense reports. Projects included: Enemy at the Gates, Red Dragon, Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, On The Road, The Straight Story.
US Videographer/Statistical and Data Analyst March 1999 – November 2000
LessonLab, Inc, Santa Monica, CA
Supported Director and Associate Director of TIMSS-R Video Study, an international study on education involving videotaping and analyzing teaching practices in seven participating countries. Traveled and collected videotape data throughout the U.S. and maintained confidentiality of visual data in compliance with government funding agency relations. Responsible for working with Chief Analyst, Translators, and International Project Staff using statistical formulae to produce required information for reports to government funding agency.
Language and computer instructor December 1996-July 1997
Hampson CS, Ltd, Mlada Boleslav, Czech Republic
Instructed students ranging from toddlers to seniors with varying levels of English and computer skills. Developed orientation packet for arriving instructors. Assisted in curriculum development and implemented eight-day intensive English program.
~ MS Word ~ Excel ~ Outlook ~ Project ~ Access ~ Filemaker Pro ~ Oracle ~ Angel (PSU) ~PowerPoint ~RefWorks ~MLA, APA, CMS, Harvard, and Vancouver Writing Style Guides ~ WordPress
- “American Gothic: The Gothic Child and the Destruction of the Womb” Hawaiian International Conference on Arts and
Humanities, Oahu, HI (January 2009)
- “The Gothic Hitchcock Shot” Hawaiian International Conference on Arts and Humanities, Oahu, HI (January 2009)
- “The Littlest Soldier (a novel)” New York Pitch and Shop Conference, NY (December 2008)
- “The Littlest Soldier” (Short Story) Writing By Degrees: National Graduate Creative Writing Conference,
Binghamton, NY (September 2008)
- “The Gothic Child in The Reflecting Skin” Uncanny Media Conference, Netherlands (August 2008)
- “Hitchcock, Suspicion, and Getting Back to the Gothic” Uncanny Media Conference, Netherlands (August 2008)
- K’s 30 Days of Creative Writing: Decay (A Visual Journal)2011
- The Mysterious Minds of Ms. K’s Eclectic ClassMay 2009
- “Slides” (Poem) Poetic Diversity MagazineApril 2009
- “The Reunion” (Poem) The Taj Majal ReviewDecember 2008
- “Searching for Caylee Anthony” (article) Centre Daily TimesNovember 2008
- “Twenty-Three Steps” (Fiction) Blood Moon Rising MagazineOctober 2008
- “Drum Circle” (Poem) The Centrifugal EyeWinter Edition February 2008
- “The Caves” (Fiction) comNovember 2007
- “We” (Poem) Honorable Mention: The Little Bitty Poetry Competitionby Shadow Poetry 2007
- “Scream” (Poem) Writer’s Forum Magazine2006
- “Who’s That Knocking on my Door?” (Poem) Poetry Vibe2006
- “Brisk” (Poem) Eternal Portraits2005
- Novels: A Christmas Peril, The Next Santa, Cold Like Winter, The Littlest Soldier, Seven Minutes Past Saturday
- Poems: 22 (for Kurt Vonnegut), In The Velvet Lounge, Bamboo, Spatny Voda
- Shorts: Der Schokoladenmann, The Cellar Bugs, The Corn Field, The Navigator, Scratch, Skinny, The Grunions
Member of the following Organizations:
International Women’s Writing Guild, Alliance of Artists Communities, IGA (International Gothic Association), MLA (Modern Language Association), PCEA (Pennsylvania College English Association), Arc of Centre County: A United Way Agency, Graduate Writing Center (Penn State), Madison Who’s Who Publishing: Honors Edition 2008-2009
COMMUNITY SERVICE & TRAVEL
Texas Equusearch for Missing Child Caylee Anthony (11/2008), Humanitarian Relief Efforts in Afghanistan (2004-2009), Support for 10thMountain Division in Iraq (2004-2009), Centre Crest Poetry Group (2008), MFA Reading Series (2007), Habitat for Humanity (2002-2008), Meals on Wheels (2002-Present), Much Love/SPCA (2004-2005), The United Way (2005-Present), and Rock The Classroom (2003).
Germany, Korea, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, Finland, France, Spain, Japan, every U.S. State except Alaska (saving the best for last!), Puerto Rico, Aruba, Canada, Mexico, The Netherlands, Denmark, France, Belgium, Norway, Sweden.